Hubby came home from work this morning and needed to borrow a few dollars for breakfast. I know he chooses to not carry a credit or debit card so that we can save money, and he doesn’t often ask for cash, but for some reason I felt cranky about his request today. He noticed, of course, and called me on it. I was able to apologize, but I also wondered what was going on.
Maybe my crankiness is because I:
- Didn’t sleep well last night
- Haven’t had enough coffee (I’m only on cup one, and it’s already cold.)
- Feel irritated about a missing item I thought for sure was on my desk
- Am angry with myself for misplacing the missing item
- Feel anxious about the kiddos’ dentist appointments since I’m not sure how my son will respond or how the technician will react to him
- Am choosing to be angry instead of gracious.
No matter why I was acting cranky, I can’t deny the tension between us and acknowledge that I am not being gracious and need (and want) to be!
So what will I do about it? How can I handle these cranky moments?
1.I realize that I’m the problem. I’m annoyed and am letting that control how I act.
2. I take the time I need to get myself centered. Prayer, some time alone and a date with a book or my noise cancelling headphones and praise and worship music should get me back on track.
3. I set priorities. What NEEDS to be done before the kids and I head to the dentist? Do i need to check social media, find the missing item or do dishes? No. Instead, breakfast, gathering my purse, teeth brushing, quiet time and a second cup of coffee take priority with my limited time this morning.
Ahh, that’s better! I can think clearly now and am feeling more relaxed. Okay, day, let’s go and be kind!
What do you do when you feel cranky? What helps you relax and unwind? I’d love to hear your tips!